Tuesday 8 January 2013

OUGD405- Research, Collect, Communicate: Product

Product and Packaging



The theme I researched in the previous task was the Bauhaus. I focussed my research on Bauhaus, International style architecture. For this brief I am going to design packaging for a Bauhaus architecture book.

Product


This is the book I am going to design my packaging for.

Content

This is what is on the back of the book. I may include some of the information on the back of my packaging to inform the audience of the content. 


This is an extract from the book defining the characteristics of Modernist, Bauhaus architecture. I could compile a list of characteristics to use this for the info-graphic elements.

Bauhaus Building Research 

Tel Aviv

Referred to as the 'White City', Tel Aviv is home to a collection of over 4,000 Bauhaus/International style buildings that were built from the 1930s by German Jewish architects who immigrated to the British Mandate of Palestine after the rise of the Nazis. Tel Aviv has the largest number of buildings in this style of any city in the world. 

This has given me the idea to base my designs for my packaging on the forms of the buildings. I want to incorporate the geometrical forms and clinical white aesthetic to create a structural inspired packaging. 









I particularly like the image above. I could use the triangles on the spine of the book packaging.







The balconies in these two images cut be emulated by cutting out sections of the packaging to reveal the information on the book.






 Net Research

I have started to research different methods of how I can construct my packaging. I am going to design a net to accommodate the book as well as a book sleeve/pull out.


Sleeve/Pullout Research



These two images have given me the idea to create a 2 Dimensional poster. The folds could represent the forms of the buildings and it could be folded up to fit inside the packaging.





I like how the example above folds out into a cube which is favoured in the Bauhaus/international style of architecture.


This concertina style may be interesting way to display the information. It could be modified to work as the book sleeve as well as a 3d poster.



Packaging Research

I want to create packaging that visually communicates the content of the book.


This example above has confirmed that I will need to design something extra to display the information. The text looks claustrophobic and doesn't communicate clearly. 


The image above could be a possible solution for the packaging. I could design a box like structure that the product would fit into.




The packaging above caught my eye because it reminds me of the city centre in Tel Aviv. I could base my packaging on this to represent a birds eye view of a city scape.


The strip cut into the packaging would convey the details of the buildings as well as highlighting words from the cover of the book.


This example is an effective and simple way of casing the product. 



This is the clinical asthetic I am wanting to achieve. I like how the product slips inside the packaging.









Cut out areas in the packaging could be quite effective to represent the angles and geometrics of the buildings.





Modernist Graphic Design Research 

I felt it was necessary to research some modernist graphic design to inform my design decisions when I come to creating my layout and adding the information, to further communicate the contents of the product.


This image is a perfect example of the style of design I am wanting to achieve. I want to produce a minimal, clinical aesthetic that uses a column system to display the information.


The use of geometric shapes could work well in my design to represent the curves of the buildings.




The use of negative space in the image above communicates the forms of the architecture. I think this style could be a powerful way to grab the attention of the target audience through the the use of  geometric shapes to subtly reference the characteristics of the Bauhaus style.


I am going to use a limited colour palette consisting of no more than three colours. White is going to be the dominant colour, so I will use blue from the book cover for continuity, and possible one more colour for other details, such as image or text. 








No comments:

Post a Comment