I feel like I have improved my writing skills prior to my last critical analysis writing. I now know how to write an academic paper and I feel I am starting to develop my writing style. I understand how to triangulate much better and feel I have showed this in my writing.
In regards to the practical side, I have a much better understanding of designing for digital media and how usability and function are the fundamentals to creating a website that has a clear purpose. I have discovered that navigation is an important aspect of designing websites and making sure the content is most important.
2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?
I found that planning before moving onto digital is a must when designing the layout for a website. I had to map out how the site would work to make sure every page was easily accessible from any point of the site to see what navigational tools were required. I have realised I like to work digitally to develop my ideas, as I like to experiment on screen so I can see how things will look. I find it hard to visualise my ideas on paper with sketches and find I tend to waste a lot of time in doing so. However, I realise sometimes it can help to establish the relationship between objects and space.
3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?
I feel like I have clearly explained the subjects I wrote about in my essay and applied them visually to my website to show my understanding of the content and showed what I have taken from it and formed my own opinions and expanded on the existing theories. This is shown in the practical side in the guidelines section of my site where I have taken elements that I think are successful by offering examples of how to apply them.
4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?
If I had allocated more time, I would of liked to have ago at coding the website to improve my understanding of designing for digital because it makes you realise the limitations of designing for web and the difficulty to code more complex details.
5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?
- If I was to do it again I would like to go more in depth with the actual coding and working of the website. I am sure this would of provided more problems to solve which would challenge me further and improve my knowledge of digital software and the psychology behind how the user interacts with a site.
- My time management has been terrible throughout the practical side of the module. I need to address this to help me when I come into the third year of my degree so I can balance the written work with the practical to get the best out of both.
- I wish I had printed the two web pages because I think they both work as info graphics and would have further enhanced my project. Again this came down to time management, or lack of.
- I didn’t take advantage of getting feedback from my peers; next time I will organise self initiated crits to help me develop my work.
- Next time I want to learnt to balance the writing and practical at the same time because I think it will provide better synthesis.